This quinoa recipe uses 3 supremed naval oranges.
Quinoa with Orange Sesame Vinaigrette
1 ½ cup Quinoa
2 cup water
3 navel oranges, supremed (SEE VIDEO)
3 TBS orange juice
2 TBS brown rice vinegar
2 TBS low sodium soy sauce
1 TBS toasted sesame oil
4 scallions sliced
2 tsp. orange zest
- Wash the quinoa by putting it in a bowl full of water and rubbing it between your fingers. Pour it into a fine mesh strainer and let most of the water drip out. Put the quinoa in a sauce pan over medium heat to dry it and toast it slightly.
- Add the water and bring it to a boil then turn down the heat and let it simmer for 15 minute. When the small germ has separated from the grain and the center is translucent spread the quinoa on a sheet pan to cool it quickly. If all the water had not cooked away you will have to strain it. (This is just for using the quinoa cold, if you want to eat it hot you do not need the sheet pan step).
- Section the oranges into supremes and squeeze out the juice from the membranes. Measure out 3 TBS of the juice.
- Whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, and soy sauce and then slowly whisk in the sesame oil.
- Stir together the Quinoa, scallions and orange sections and the dress with the vinaigrette.